Les Lufteaux
Bienvenue sur le forum de l'association "Les Lufteaux" !
Nous avertissons nos lecteurs que les échanges entre passionnés d'histoire militaire peuvent contenir des photographies historiques ou de reconstitution représentant des soldats allemands de la seconde guerre mondiale.

Bonne lecture !
Les Lufteaux
Bienvenue sur le forum de l'association "Les Lufteaux" !
Nous avertissons nos lecteurs que les échanges entre passionnés d'histoire militaire peuvent contenir des photographies historiques ou de reconstitution représentant des soldats allemands de la seconde guerre mondiale.

Bonne lecture !
Les Lufteaux
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

Reconstitution historique allemande Luftwaffe WW2

AccueilDernières imagesS'enregistrerConnexionAccès direct au site
Derniers sujets
» PROGRAMME TV
Récits de vétérans. EmptyMar 07 Mai 2024, 12:35 par Briceño

» Présentation
Récits de vétérans. EmptyMar 23 Avr 2024, 19:07 par Steffen25

» Présentation Lufteaux Jung Maxime
Récits de vétérans. EmptyMer 27 Mar 2024, 22:56 par Stéphane Loubel

» Présentation Edgar Studer
Récits de vétérans. EmptyDim 25 Fév 2024, 17:14 par Steffen25

» Présentation Hans
Récits de vétérans. EmptyDim 04 Fév 2024, 18:37 par Hans

» Port de la Fliegerbluse
Récits de vétérans. EmptyDim 24 Déc 2023, 18:57 par Euronymous

» Thomas (Normandie -Seine Maritime 76)
Récits de vétérans. EmptyJeu 07 Déc 2023, 15:18 par Leo Studer

» Truppenfahrrad type ww2 a vendre sur LBC
Récits de vétérans. EmptyLun 06 Nov 2023, 23:30 par Leo Studer

» Side car couleur reglementaire
Récits de vétérans. EmptyMer 01 Nov 2023, 01:07 par Cédric

» Livre de Didier Lodieu
Récits de vétérans. EmptyMar 17 Oct 2023, 11:16 par HansWerner

» passage du rapport officiel de la 17 feld division
Récits de vétérans. EmptyJeu 05 Oct 2023, 14:56 par andreas

» -Les derniers soldats "officiels" de l'armée allemande se rendent en..
Récits de vétérans. EmptySam 09 Sep 2023, 15:18 par Egon Kraaz

» BlowPanzer
Récits de vétérans. EmptyMar 29 Aoû 2023, 18:59 par Egon Kraaz

» Visite d'un musée privé
Récits de vétérans. EmptyDim 27 Aoû 2023, 22:33 par Jason76

» Trop beau............... (vous connaissez la suite ?)
Récits de vétérans. EmptyLun 14 Aoû 2023, 11:58 par Egon Kraaz

-10% pour les membres
Le Deal du moment : -20%
-20% Récupérateur à eau mural 300 ...
Voir le deal
79 €

Récits de vétérans.

AuteurMessage
ben
Posteur Fou
ben

Récits de vétérans. Empty
MessageSujet: Récits de vétérans.   Récits de vétérans. EmptyMar 08 Oct 2013, 22:54

Pour commencer le récit d'un vétéran allemand de la luft, à la base mécanicien puis rattaché aux troupes au sol de la luft en 1944. Concrètement, il est posté près de la ligne siegfried dans un bunker et n’eu pas le temps de vraiment combattre avant d’être fait prisonnier par les américains.
Ce qu’il y a d’intéressant pour nous :
-La nourriture était ramenée dans son bunker sur une norvégienne avec des rations de pain. Ils allaient aussi avec ses camarades se servir en lait dans une ferme à proximité. Il leur arrivait de chasser avec leurs k98 pour s’octroyer un supplément de nourriture. Ils avaient de l’eau courante et de quoi faire cuire sur le poêle du bunker.
-Pas de radio dans le bunker, ils jouaient souvent aux cartes à un jeu intitulé « skat ».
-Pas de sanitater, juste un soldat de son groupe étudiant en médecine.
-La menace principale était les avions alliés, il a faillit se faire abattre par un avion alors qu’il se promenait à bicyclette.
-Le port du casque est fréquent, la plaque d’identification n’a pas de pochette en cuir.

Récits de vétérans. Ostfront81

Could you please tell me about your early life; such as school, were you a member of the HJ?
Yes, I was. My friends were, too. I was interested in Gliders and we built model Gliders. When I reached 13 yrs old I began my apprenticeship as a mechanic. Work 5 days a week with 1 day of classes. That was in 1939 when the War started.

How did you come into the Service? Were you drafted?
I was in the Reichsarbendienst in Olmutz. That was early in the War years. In January 1944 I was drafted and went into the Luftwaffe to train as an airplane mechanic. That was in Wischau, Czechoslovakia. We repaired Messerschmitts & Dorniers. My cousin – who was also in the Luftwaffe - advised me to train as a mechanic instead of a pilot as there was no gas for the planes! Then in the Spring of ‘44 they told us we would train as Infantry – the Luftwaffe Ground Forces.

What was your Basic Training like?
It was what all the recruits had to go through – drill, march, inspection... Our feldwebel was a good guy. He had a big belly, and liked to laugh. One funny story when we were training. The area we trained and drilled on has a hill - it was called “Idiots Hill” – and nearby there were cherry fruit trees. Our feldwebel was hungry this particular afternoon, and as I was the youngest and littlest of the Unit, sent me on a mission. He gave me his empty gasmask container and sent me into the trees saying, “Josef – there is the Enemy! Go and take them prisoner!” So, I returned with his gasmask full of cherries and he was happy.

Describe your time as a landser.
After the training as Luftwaffe Ground Forces we were sent to the Westwall, the Siegfried Line, as a Festung Sturmabteilung. That was in the Summer of 1944. We were in bunkers manning the Westwall near Zeebrucken, Belgium as reserve. It was around this time I remember seeing V-1’s launching at night. The flame from the tail lit up the night sky. Then whoosh, off it went into the night. One right after the other. It was incredible. Then in the Fall we were moved further down into France. We were at the southern end of the Westwall then. After the Von Rundstedt Offensive (Wacht Am Rhine-Battle of the Bulge) was over we were pulled back to the Rhine. We were on German soil with the Rhine at our backs. We were told that this would be the Front, on the border of Germany. That was in Feburary of 1945.

You were in eastern France at the time of the Von Rundstedt Offensive - Did you take part in any Operations associated with it?
No, we were further south and didn’t see any action then. We were a Reserve Battalion. We saw action later on, in the Winter. I do remember, around that time however, seeing hidden covered rows of tanks - Tigers and Panthers. They were the best tanks, but had no gas.

What Forces opposed your lines – American, British, Canadian? Who did you fight against?
I remember the Americans. They would come up at night and try to blow up the bunkers or the lines. We would turn the MG-34 on them and they would go away. Then it would be quiet for a while.

Describe the Bunker you were in.
It was big. It was connected by trench to the Command Bunker. Some bunkers were connected by tunnel. There was a telephone connecting us to the Command Bunker that could connect us to the other Bunkers as well. Our Bunker had a tower with a mounted MG-34 that could turn in 360’ degrees. Good field of fire.

What weapons did you use?
Besides the MG-34 we were all issued with a gehwer, Mauser k-98. We had a panzerschrek in our bunker as well.

How often did you fire the k-98?
Not very much. We used the rifles sometimes for hunting more than actual close combat.

Hunting deer? Tell me about that, please.
We used to go hunting after we did the day’s drills and exercises. We would leave the bunker to hunt sometimes, and this would give us meat. Our bunker was pretty well supplied with deer meat at that time. This was in the forests away from most of the fighting you read about. We were in a quiet sector. The deer and animals would come into our area to get away from the artillery and fighting going on north of us.

How were the conditions inside the bunker? What were the sleeping arrangements?
It was good. The bunker had sleeping quarters for 10 men. Hammocks slung from wall. We had running water, and an outhouse out back. There was a wood stove we could heat the water to wash, or cook on.

Didn’t you use esbit stoves to cook on?
We used the woodstove in the bunker if we were going to cook.

How did you get your meals?
I was the one who went to the Command Bunker everyday to bring back the rations (soup or stew) and bread. I carried it (marmite can) on my back, like a rucksack. That was our rations for the day. Anything else we supplemented from our own stocks and we shared together. There was a farm nearby, close to our bunker in the woods, and we used to go milk the cow and bring some back for us. I don’t remember the farmer getting mad at us, we certainly did it!

You got along okay with the locals then? Did you do any business with them?
Oh sure, they were no problem to us and we got along fine. We bought what we could from them.

Did you have a radio to listen to? What did you do for entertainment? Did you play cards?
No, we didn’t have a radio. Sure, we played cards when we could. We did play Skat, yes.

Did you have time for “Putz und Flickstunde”?
Naturally, some of that, yes.

What did you wear for headgear? Did you wear the feldmutze or stahlhelm?
We wore the stahlhelm, of course. I also wore the Schiff.

Did you wear your ID disc in a leather pouch?
I wore the erkunngsmarke all the time, but don’t remember any leather pouch

How about the soldbuch? That was on your person all the time. Where did you carry it?
Yes, had it on me always. In my tunic pocket.

Did you wear socks or Flusslappen?
We wore socks. [Josef was surprised to hear the term again, and then demonstrated how a Flusslapen is worn by standing on a dishtowel and wrapping it around the foot up by the ankle]

Did you wear winter felt boots? Do you remember what winter clothing you were issued?
We didn’t have felt boots. We had jack boots. We were issued the regular wool uniform, and we had gloves. I did have a leather sheepskin jacket, though. That was plenty warm.

It was winter time when you saw action, could you describe that?
When we were in the bunkers at night we could hear the Americans approach our positions, then we’d let them have it with the MG-34. Shoot over their heads, it made a lot of noise and kept them away. Then sometimes we would be shelled with artillery which would be bad. You had to get down in the bunker right away!

Were you under attack from the air?
A Sure, the Jabos would come down low - so low to the ground! - and shoot everything that moves. Trucks, trains, cars. I came under attack from one when I was pedaling on bicycle! I foolishly dove under a plane during the attack! Luckily wasn’t hit. The Jabos were the most dangerous to us.

Were you ever wounded?
No

Did your Unit have a Sani, a Medic?
We didn’t have one, but a member of the Unit was a medical student so we went to him if we needed to.

Did you remember there being a Chaplain, a Kriegspfarrar visiting your Unit?
Never saw one.

How did things end for you? When did your Combat days come to an end?
Near the end of February 1945 we were in a village on our side of the Rhine. The US Army was shelling the village we were in. We were in the cellar of a house off the square. Most houses had soldiers in the cellars. During a lull the woman of the house went to the well to get water, and the Americans came up to her and told her to have any soldiers to come out and throw down their weapons and surrender. She came and told us this, and we thought it best to do it now. An SS man was in our company, and grew angry at us we were giving up. He stayed down there and never saw him again. The rest of us came up and went out the door and surrendered to the Americans. I pulled the MG-34 and the other weapons in a wagon, and gave the handle to one of the US soldiers, all waiting for us. We were moved down the road under guard. That was it for me. Kaput.

Source, der erste zug.

Dernière édition par ben le Mar 08 Oct 2013, 23:26, édité 1 fois
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
ben
Posteur Fou
ben

Récits de vétérans. Empty
MessageSujet: Re: Récits de vétérans.   Récits de vétérans. EmptyMar 08 Oct 2013, 23:23

Vétéran de la 68eme division d’infanterie. Médaillé de la croix de fer, il a fait le front de l’est ou il a été blessé une fois. Il était gefreiter.
-Après son incorporation dans les HJ en 38, ses classes dans la heer ne furent pas très compliquées étant donné qu’il était déjà preformaté.
-Le front de l’est n’était pas vraiment une punition pour lui étant donné que ce fut un passage pour de très nombreux soldats allemands. Il gagna sa croix de fer en annonçant à un de ses officiers une maison abritant des soldats russes puis en la sécurisant.
-Il portait peu son sac à dos. Lors de l’entrainement, il était interdit de remplir les poches de sa vareuse mais sur le front étant donné qu’ils n’avaient pas de sac, ils emportaient leurs affaires là ou ils pouvaient. Son sac à pain servait à contenir toutes sortes de choses.
-Son boitier de masque à gaz contenait le masque à gaz, si il le perdait il risquait d’être ennuyé par un sous officier chargé de contrôler la présence de ce masque.
-Un russe faisait la popote en campagne, sinon il mangeait ce qu’il trouvait, les conserves de fer ne pouvaient être mangées que sur ordre.
-Il gardait sa plaque d’identité dans son livret de solde.
-Le nom de chacun était inscrit dans le casque en grosses lettres blanches pour le trouver facilement la nuit.
-Il y avait beaucoup de poux sur le front sans aucune distinction d’hygiène corporelle, ça arrivait souvent dans les endroits ou les soldats dormaient les uns à coté des autres.
-Il se servait des tracts soviétiques comme papier toilettes, sinon lorsqu’il faisait froid, il n’était pas rare que les soldats fassent leurs besoins directement dans les abris pour éviter de s’exposer à l’éxtérieur.
-Il a reçut une paire de bottes et de brodequins. Il a revendu ses brodequins a son cordonnier d'unité qui les revendait ensuite aux civils. Le coordonnier lui a remis un papier comme quoi il faisait reparer ses brodequins pour pas avoir d'ennui. Qu'est-ce qu'on fait pas pour gagner quelques reichmarks!

Récits de vétérans. 5296613.3a391bdd.500

What was your name and what was your unit?
My name is Hans Melker and I was a member of the 1st Company, Infanterie Regiment 169.  We are part of the 68th Division.  Our emblem was a bear!

Were you a member of the Le chancelier Youth?
Yes, but not by choice.  Until about 1938 I guess, I was a member of a hiking club.  With this group I hiked and repaired religious shrines in the woods.  Then, our group became part of the Le chancelier Youth.  My parents were very upset, you see they were very religious and kind people and the Le chancelier Youth had a reputation for fighting and being military.  But it was hard for boys to resist.  It was very large and did exciting things.  After all, what boy does not like to play army?  We learned to shoot and use military radios and use maps.  They would have competitions between the various groups and military exercises.  Then I went into the Reichs Arbeits Dienst.  With them, we built dams to stop landslides.  Then I went into the Heer, or German Army.  It was mandatory service, everyone had to go.  I went in October, 1942.

Describe your basic training.
It was not a whole lot different than the routines we had in HJ camps or in the RAD.  We were already used to the military life.  My parents were happier when I was taken in the Army than I was when I was in the HJ.  They worried about me in the HJ, but the Army had been around forever and had a reputation for high moral standards.  My parents were good people, they wrote to me almost every day and were always sending me things which they could have used themselves.  My mother must have spent many hours knitting me scarves, gloves, hats.  I am ashamed to admit that I almost never wore a thing that she sent me.  I usually got along with what the Army gave me and traded my mother's gifts away.  Of course I never told her.  And I didn't write them back very often.  I would get their letters, sometimes big bundles of them, and they would be sad, saying that they worried about me so much (when he went to the front) and why did I not write?  It wasn't because I did not have the time, I was just a stupid kid.  My parents were such good people...

Did something happen to your parents?
They were in a bombing raid.  They were in a shelter when a bomb hit it and it collapsed.  My mother was in a hospital for almost a month but she finally passed away.  But our house was still standing at the end of the war, it was in a suburb of Berlin called Babelsburg.  My Kompanieführer (company leader) told me my parents had been killed.  Suddenly I felt very alone.  And I never appreciated them when they were alive...

I'm sorry, these memories must be painful.
I think about my parents and the war all the time.  I don't think that Americans realized how much we really suffered.  Americans will say "Those Nazis got everything they deserved."  Yes, Germany did some cruel things but my parent's only crime was that they did not turn against their government.  You read a lot about Americans who see people being murdered before their very eyes and then not doing a thing.  I wonder if the same people who feel that Germany was being punished would agree with it if the police came and shot not only the murderers but also the people who saw it happen?  Oh no, they would come up with reasons like "they were afraid", or "it was none of their business", or that the person who was killed probably had it coming to them because they were involved in drugs or had the wrong sort of friends.  This is [hypocrisy].  And to distract people from the crime of bombing civilians, they have turned those bomber crews into heroes.  Who is now going to question the rightness of the bombing?  Because those bombers were heroes!  They could not be wrong!  Ah! But you want to hear about my Dienstzeit.  What do you want to Know?

So you spent most of your time on the Eastern Front?
Except for training and leave, I spent all of my time at the Ostfront.  1943 and part of 1944.  We were fighting the Soviet Union.  We usually called them "Ivan" or the "enemy" or "Bolsheviks".  You read that German soldiers were sent to the Ostfront as a punishment.  This is not true because most German soldiers went to the Ostfront at one time or another, and many of them never went anywhere else.  For years, that was the only big campaign we had going.  You can never forget Russia.  It is very large and very rustic.  But Ivan was a terrible enemy.  They would kill our wounded and sometimes not take any prisoners.  There are many good Russian people, I know that.  We had a Russian who drove our ZugWagen or unit wagon.  He also helped the cooks.  One time the cook was very upset, because our Russian had found this wounded Russian soldier not far from the kitchen and was amusing himself by splashing boiling water over him!  The cook wanted to shoot our Russian.  When we got mad at this guy, we would threaten to give him a big medal and send him back to his own side; this usually made him break down!  But I guess he behaved himself after that because he was with us for a long time.

Did you get any decorations?  What was your rank?
Yes, I got decorations.  I got the Iron Cross, I wore the ribbon in my buttonhole.  The Infanteriesturmabzeichen, this was a medal you got if you made so many successful attacks on the enemy.  A verwundetenabzeichen for being wounded.  You wore these on your left pocket.  We called them Blech.  This means sheet metal trinkets!  Some of the officers had lots of Blech.  I shouldn't mislead you, we were actually very proud of our medals.  I know old American GIs who have their medals in a frame in their living rooms.  Can you see me with my medals in a frame?  And then in walks my newspaper boy.  "Where did you get those, Mr. Melker?"  And I say: Hey kid, I was the bravest pas beaux soldier that ever lived!  Ha ha ha ha.  I was a Gefreiter.  This was one rank above private.  I'll never forget, after I got my lung-wound, they sent me back to Germany.  They gave me my wound medal in the hospital, made a big deal about it in front of a whole tour of Le chancelier Youth.  They said what an honor it was to be wounded for the Fatherland, and wounds were honorable, things like that.  Later on, one of these boys came up and asked me where I was wounded.  I told him my privates were blown off.  You should have seen the look on his face!  Ha ha ha.

What did you do to win the Iron Cross?
I was carrying a message to one of the Zugführers when I saw Russians in a destroyed house.  I ran back and told my leader and he sent me back with some men and a machine gunner to take care of it.  It was nothing very brave.  My job was to carry messages to the other commanders, I had a belt pouch to carry the messages in.  I would hide this pouch in my jacket because if Ivan saw it, he would know I was either an officer or a messenger and make a target of me.

Describe your uniform and equipment.
OK.  We had these real long shirts that we called "louse houses".  We would cut pieces off the bottoms to clean our guns.  Green wool pants, and a jacket to match, it had two small pockets up here (on the chest), and two big ones down here (on the hips).  During training we had to keep these pockets flat, so we couldn't put very much in them.  But in Russia, we stuffed them with all kinds of things.  We didn't carry our packs so you had to carry things where you could.  We had a helmet that we painted our name inside in big white letters.  This was so we could read them in bad light.  It is not a good thing to be trying on everyone else's helmet when the shells start falling on your group!  We had both shoes and boots.  I sold my shoes to the unit shoemaker.  He had a regular business selling soldier's shoes to the civilians.  He would buy your shoes and give you a little slip of paper saying that your shoes were being fixed.  In the German Army, you were responsible for every little thing they gave you.  If you didn't have everything you were supposed to have, you got in trouble.  If you wore out your socks, you had better fix them or pack them away, because you couldn't throw them away.

Did you wear socks of Fußlappen?
Fußlappen!  (Laughs) Oh yes, I forgot about those.  You wrapped them on your feet like this.  First you stand on them so your foot and heel point towards the corners.  (motions on the floor).  Then you fold the toe up, then wrap up this side, then the other side (wraps up an invisible Fußlappen).  I wore out my socks and never had the patience to fix them.  I gave the little sewing kit that my mother sent me to my best friend.  I always traded off the nice homemade socks that my mother sent me.  I traded them off for tobacco, food, magazines, things like that.  I still feel bad about that.  My mother used to sew my name into the things that she would send me.  The other soldiers would say, I wished my mother would do that for me.  One pair of socks she sent me wound up on a soldier from another company.  He got his chest and head blown off.  On his feet were my mother's socks with my name on them.  The commander came to our sergeant to ask them if I was missing.  Of course I wasn't.  I usually got along with just the Fußlappen except in the winter.  They were harder to wear out, all you had to do was turn them so your heel was in a different spot every time.  We also called cooked cabbage Fußlappen because it was flat and smelled so bad!

Describe your field rations.
Our food was cooked in a trailer we called a Gulaschkanone (goulash cannon!) and carried up in backpacks or we lined up at the trailer and they ladled it into our pots.  We got bread, soup, cabbage and meat, goulash.

Did anyone in your unit have lice?
Yes, because come of the Russian buildings we slept in were full of them.  Our medical people were always powdering these places, but the lice were there anyway.  Most of the time it was better to get wet and sleep outside.  You do not need to be dirty to get lice.  Just because we got lice did not mean we were dirty.  We were as clean as possible.  We went to a unit that examined our lice.  I remember the soldier who took our clothes.  He said, "you filthy swine!  You get lice because you are disgusting slobs!  You must change your underwear every day and you will not get lice."  Someone threw his dirty uniform in this guys face.

Did you use captured equipment?
No, not that I can remember.  The Russians were capturing more of our stuff than we were capturing of theirs.  Oh, sometimes we would take a star off some Russians hat, but we didn't really go in for this in a big way.

Were you issued iron rations?
Yes, you could only eat them if your officer told you to.  It was Zwieback and Fleischkonserven (canned meat).  Sometimes we would find these little piles of equipment of men who had been wounded and sent back.  Some of the men would take the iron rations out of the Brotbeutel if there were any there and eat them.  I could never do this.

Did you have a Brotbeutel (breadbag)?
Oh yes, every soldier had one.  It was made of canvas and hung down from your belt.  It also had a cloth strap which we used for everything except the thing it was made for [hanging the bag from your shoulder].  We were supposed to carry food in this bag but we carried all sorts of things in it.  Like I said, we didn't carry our packs so we had to carry things where we could.

Did you throw away your Gasmask?
No, they checked you for them and you could get into trouble if you didn't have one.  There was a special Unteroffizier who checked you for them.  I did not want to get into trouble.

Did you have a watch?
Yes, a gift from my teacher but I lost it in the hospital after I was wounded.  Those thieves in the hospital probably stole it.  You would go into the hospital with all kinds of things, the medics at the front wouldn't take your stuff.  The next one might be them.  When you were ready to leave, the hospital would give you just a few things back.  When you would ask them, "where is my such-and-such," they would say "What? You didn't have that when you came in here.  You must have lost it when you were wounded."  I also remember that I had some photographs of dead Russians, don't know where I got them, I didn't have a camera.  Don't know why I had them, we could see dead people all the time.  But when I got my stuff back, the orderly wanted those pictures very bad.  I don't know why, isn't that a little funny.  I gave them to him.

What enemy weapons did you fear most?
We feared the Russian Artillery and rockets.  But my biggest fear was a Mongolian soldier with a bayonet!  I had this childish fear.  I could picture this sinister looking Mongol who was going to pierce me no matter what.  The thought terrified me.

How did you wear your Erkennungsmarke (Dogtag)?
Ha ha, I remember those things!  They gave it to you with a string to hang around your neck.  But it was metal and it would get cold if I was bending over and it dangled away from my chest.  Then when I straighten up, ...OOH! AH! CCCCOLD!  So, most of the time I kept it in my paybook which I carried in my pocket.

Were you trained in night combat?
Yes, I remember them taking us out at night, then yelling and throwing grenades around us to confuse us.  It really was confusing with the flashing and noise.  That's what night combat is - very confusing.  So is day combat, in fact!

Describe a field latrine.
What a question!  If you had time, you took a shovel and dug a little hole.  If you didn't have time, you just found a spot and did it.  The Russians would drop little papers on us.  These were made of real thin paper and we would use these as toilet paper.  In camps they would have a regular thing built from poles.  During the winter when we stayed in houses, there was a sign put up: USE THE LATRINE.  I guess some of the men did not want to go out in the cold, so they did it inside the house.  The houses did not have toilets.  If they caught you doing it in a house, you were in big trouble.

Memories regarding bicycles:
I know that the German Army used lots of them, but I don't remember seeing many in Russia.  The roads were so bad, I don't see how anyone could have ridden them.

What kind of cap did you have?
We had a little cap made like a canoe.  You had to wear it tilted on your head just so.  In 1943 they began to give out these caps with bills on them but you had to wear out your first one, which I never did.  We also had these hats sort of like a police hat with a black plastic bill.  They were smart looking!  But we never wore them in the field.  They had a white stripe around the top.  This was the color of the infantry.  The same color was on our shoulder straps.  You could tell what of soldier a man was by the color of his shoulder straps.  White for infantry, red for artillery, black for construction troops.  You could also tell by looking at the man himself.  If he was big with lots of muscles and stone deaf, he was from the artillery.  If he had clever hands and shifty eyes, he was from the medical service.  If he strutted like a bully, he was an MP.  If he had lots of bumps on his head and smelled like petrol, he was a tanker.  If one of his ears was pressed flat to his head, he was a communications soldier.  The tough ones were the paymasters: they don't look like soldiers at all!  Ha ha ha ha ha.  OK, I'm hungry now, lets eat!!

Source: Der erste zug (décidément l'un des meilleurs sites sur la reconstit allemande ww2).
Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Récits de vétérans.
Page 1 sur 1